Welcome to a minor in Chinese, French, German, Italian Studies, Japanese, or Spanish!
Please click the link for the appropriate Minor Agreement Form below (based on the first initial of your last name). This will initiate the power form and will ask you and your minor advisor to sign and date the form and will send it on for processing.
- Ask your advisor questions about minor credit for coursework taken at another school. For Study Abroad, consult the minor advisor before your trip to ensure transferability of courses.
- You must declare the minor before beginning upper division coursework towards the minor.
- Each minor consists of 24-quarter units of coursework specified by the Department: a minimum of 12 units must be upper division. A minimum grade point average of 2.75 must be maintained.
You are responsible for monitoring progress towards your minor and having course substitutions approved by your minor advisor.
Contact your advisor in your major department to plan the best way to integrate your language minor into your major program. For additional information, consult the College of Liberal Arts Advising Center, 47-22B or call 756-6200.
For general university requirements, please see "Minors" in the Cal Poly Catalog.
To declare a minor, please complete click the minor form link for the language of interest and fill in your information. That will initiate the minor form which will be sent to your advisor then onward for processing.
Visit the Chinese minor page for a description of the minor and course schedule. More information about the Chinese minor is available on the Cal Poly Catalog website.
- Advisor: Dr. Sophia Chen
Office: Bldg. 47, Rm 26
Chinese Minor Form (catalog years 19-21)
More information about the French minor is available on the Cal Poly Catalog website. Click here for more information.
- Advisor A-M: Dr. Brian Kennelly
Office: Bldg. 47, Rm. 26C
French Minor Form (catalog years 17-21) [Last Name A-M]
- Advisor N-Z: Dr. John Thompson
Office: Bldg. 47, Rm. 26A
French Minor Form (catalog years 17-21) [Last Name N-Z]
Visit the German minor page for a description of the minor and course schedule. More information about the German minor is available on the Cal Poly Catalog website.
- Advisor: Dr. Christian Anderson
Office: Bldg. 47, Rm. 26Q
More information about the Italian minor is available on the Cal Poly Catalog website.
- Advisor: Teresianna Matarrese
Office: Bldg. 52, E24 Cubicle H
Italian Studies Minor Form 19-21
More information about the Japanese minor is available on the Cal Poly Catalog website.
- Advisor: Junko Cleave
Office: Bldg. 52, E24 Cubicle K
Required Courses and Approved Electives are listed below. Any applicable courses students have taken will count towards the minor as soon as they declare it. For more information, please contact both Junko Cleave (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Dr. John Thompson (email@example.com), copied on the same email.
|JPNS 103||Elementary Japanese III 1||4|
|JPNS 201||Intermediate Japanese I||4|
|JPNS 202||Intermediate Japanese II (currently WLC 202)||4|
|WLC 310||Humanities in World Cultures (Topic: Cultures of Japan)||4|
|Select from the following:||8|
|Topics in Architectural History 2,3|
|Asian Americans in Popular Culture|
|Cultural Production and Ethnicity|
|Gender, Race, Class, Nation in Global Engineering, Technology & International Development|
|Critical Race Theory|
|Chinese and East Asian Philosophy|
|Religions of Asia|
More information about the Spanish minor is available on the Cal Poly Catalog website.
- Advisor — Last name A-G: Dr. Fernando Sanchez
Office: Bldg 47, Rm. 28
Spanish Minor Form (catalog years 17-21) [Last Name A-G]
- Advisor - Last name H-M: Dr. Karen Muñoz-Christian
Office: Bldg. 47, Rm. 26M
Spanish Minor Form (catalog years 17-21) [Last Name H-M]
- Advisor — Last name N-S: Dr. Silvia Marijuan
- Office: Bldg. 47, Rm. 26P
Spanish Minor Form (catalog years 17-21) [Last name N-S]
- Advisor — Last name T-Z: Dr. Martha Galvan-Mandujano
Office: Bldg. 47, Rm. 26D