Dr. Silvia Marijuan
Assistant Professor of Spanish & Applied Linguistics
World Languages Credential Advisor
Faculty Leader of the Valladolid, Spain, Summer Study Abroad Program (2018)
- Heritage and Second Language Acquisition (SLA)
- Study Abroad Research and Practice
- Latinxs and Spanish in the United States
- Task-Based Language Teaching (TBLT)
- Curriculum Development
- Inclusion and Diversity in Higher Education
- Office: Bldg. 47, Rm. 26P
- Phone: 805-756-2273
- Email: email@example.com
About Silvia Marijuan
- Ph.D., Spanish Applied Linguistics, Georgetown University (2015)
- M.S., Spanish Applied Linguistics, Georgetown University (2012)
- Licenciatura en Letras, University of Buenos Aires (2009)
- Marijuan, S. & Sanz, C. (in press, 2018). Expanding boundaries: Current and new directions in Study Abroad research and practice. Foreign Language Annals.
- Marijuan, S. (in press, 2018). Making a difference through talk: Spanish Heritage Language Learners as conversation partners in a hybrid study abroad program. In C. Sanz, & A. Morales-Front (Eds.), Routledge Handbook of Study Abroad. Abingdon, UK: Routledge.
- Marijuan, S. & Sanz, C. (2017). Technology-assisted L2 research in immersive contexts abroad. System, 71, 22-34 [Special issue: Study Abroad in contemporary times: Toward greater methodological diversity and innovation, edited by P. De Costa, H. Rawal, & I Zaykovskaya]
- Marijuan, S., Lago, S., & Sanz C. (2016). Can English-Spanish emerging bilinguals use agreement morphology to overcome word order bias? In L. Ortega, A. E. Tyler, H. I. Park, and M. Uno, (Eds.), The usage-based study of language learning and multilingualism. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press.
- Leow, R. P., Grey, S., Marijuan, S., & Moorman, C. (2014). Concurrent data elicitation procedures, processes, and the early stages of L2 learning: A critical overview. Second Language Research, 30, 111-127.
- Marijuan, S., & Sanz, C. ‘The use of technology advances in language development research during study abroad.’ Paper presented at the Panel on Study Abroad in Contemporary Times: Methodological Innovations, AAAL (American Association of Applied Linguistics) Conference, Portland, March 18-21, 2017
- Marijuan, S., Ferree, S., & Anderson-Cain, B. ‘What are heritage language learners looking for when they enroll in Spanish classes at the community college?’, 4th National Symposium on Spanish as a Heritage Language, University of California, Irvine, February 16-18, 2017
- Marijuan, S., ‘Building the Foundations for the Development of a Spanish for Heritage Speakers Program,’ Hispanic Linguistics Symposium, Georgetown University, October 7-9, 2016.
- Marijuan, S., ‘The use of tasks in the teaching of a second language and culture: A sociocognitive perspective,’ First International Congress of Fiction, Identity and Discourse, Universidade Federal do Maranhão, São Luís, Maranhão, Brazil, August 1-4, 2016.
- Marijuan, S., ‘Creating a Spanish heritage speaker program from scratch: a plan of action for overcoming challenges,’ 98th Annual AATSP (American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese) Conference, Miami, Florida, July 8-11, 2016.
- Marijuan, S., ‘Developing a teaching career pathway for Spanish heritage speakers,’ 98th Annual AATSP (American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese) Conference, Miami, Florida, July 8-11, 2016.
- Marijuan, S., ‘Redefining the skill set that graduate students need to thrive in the 21st century World Languages department,’ 98th Annual AATSP (American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese) Conference, Miami, Florida, July 8-11, 2016.
- Marijuan, S., & Sanz, C. ‘A Self-Paced Reading Account of Changes in Spanish OclVS Sentence Processing in an Immersion Context.’ To be presented at the AAAL (American Association of Applied Linguistics) Conference, Orlando, Florida, April 9-12, 2016.
- Marijuan, S. ‘Spanish Vernacular Use in College L2 Classrooms among Spanish Heritage Speakers in Washington, DC.’ Paper presented at the General Linguistics Panel on New Approaches to Vernacular Languages in the United States, 130th MLA (Modern Language Association) Annual Convention, Vancouver, Canada, January 8-11, 2015.
Marijuan, S., & Ferree, S. ‘Preparing the L2 Learner to write across genres and technological platforms, COABE (Commision On Adult Basic Education) Conference, Denver, Colorado, April 21-25 2015.
Grey, S., Marijuan, S., & Moorman, C. ‘Methodological considerations in the study of cognitive processes in L2 learning.’ Paper presented at the colloquium on Location, location, location: Thinking Inside the box, 33rd SLRF (Second Language Research Forum) conference, Columbia, SC, October 23-25, 2014.
Marijuan, S., Lago, S., & Sanz, C. ‘Agreement morphology, word order bias and working memory in English-Spanish emerging bilinguals,’ EUROSLA (The European Second Language Association), York, England, September 3-6, 2014.
Marijuan, S., Lago, S., & Sanz, C. ‘Can English-Spanish emerging bilinguals use agreement morphology to overcome word order bias?’ GURT (Georgetown University Round Table), Washington, DC, March 14-16, 2014.
Marijuan, S., & Lago, S. ‘(Dis)agreement can help overcome the word order bias in L2 Spanish: accuracy and timing evidence,’ SLRF (Second Language Research Forum), Provo, Utah. October 31-November 1, 2013.
Marijuan, S. ‘The role of task-complexity in the development of verbs of motion in L2 Spanish,’ TBLT (Task-Based Language Teaching), Banff, Alberta, Canada, October 3-5, 2013
Marijuan, S. ‘The role of awareness and proficiency at the syntax-pragmatics interface: L2 Spanish deictic verbs,’ SLRF (Second Language Research Forum), Pittsburgh, PA, October 18-21, 2012
- College of Liberal Arts (CLA) Summer Research Stipend, California Polytechnic State University, Summer 2017
- AATSP Conference Attendee Travel Stipend for Faculty Members, American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese (AATSP)
- Doctoral Dissertation shortlisted for the Christopher Brumfit Thesis Award 2015, Language Teaching, Cambridge University Press.
- Chicana Latino Faculty Staff Association (CLFSA, Cal Poly)
- American Association for Applied Linguistics (AAAL)
- American Association of Teachers of Spanish & Portuguese (AATSP)
- American Association of Teachers of Spanish & Portuguese- ATTSP SoCAL
- Computer-Assisted Language Instruction Consortium (CALICO)
- Modern Language Association (MLA)