Dr. Silvia Marijuan
Assistant Professor of Spanish & Applied Linguistics
- Heritage and Second Language Acquisition (SLA)
- Usage-based Approaches to SLA
- Spanish in the United States
- Task-Based Language Teaching (TBLT)
- Study Abroad
- Curriculum Development
- Inclusion and Diversity in Higher Education
- Office: Bldg. 47, Rm. 26P
- Phone: 805-756-2273
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
About Silvia Marijuan
- Ph.D., Spanish Applied Linguistics, Georgetown University (2015)
- M.S., Spanish Applied Linguistics, Georgetown University (2012)
- Licenciatura en Letras, University of Buenos Aires (2009)
- Marijuan, S., Lago, S., & Sanz C. (forthcoming, 2016). Can English-Spanish emerging bilinguals use agreement morphology to overcome word order bias? In Andrea Tyler, Lourdes Ortega, & Mariko Uno (Eds.), Usage-based approaches to language, language learning, and multilingualism. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press.
- Leow, R. P., Grey, S., Marijuan, S., & Moorman, C. (2014). Concurrent data elicitation procedures, processes, and the early stages of L2 learning: A critical overview. Second Language Research, 30(2), 111-127.
Marijuan, S., & Sanz, C. ‘A Self-Paced Reading Account of Changes in Spanish OclVS Sentence Processing in an Immersion Context.’ To be presented at the AAAL (American Association of Applied Linguistics) Conference, Orlando, Florida, April 9-12, 2016.
Marijuan, S. ‘Spanish Vernacular Use in College L2 Classrooms among Spanish Heritage Speakers in Washington, DC.’ Paper to be presented at the General Linguistics Panel on New Approaches to Vernacular Languages in the United States, 130th MLA (Modern Language Association) Annual Convention, Vancouver, Canada, January 8-11, 2015.
Marijuan, S., & Ferree, S. ‘Preparing the L2 Learner to write across genres and technological platforms, COABE (Commision On Adult Basic Education) Conference, Denver, Colorado, April 21-25 2015.
Grey, S., Marijuan, S., & Moorman, C. ‘Methodological considerations in the study of cognitive processes in L2 learning.’ Paper presented at the colloquium on Location, location, location: Thinking Inside the box, 33rd SLRF (Second Language Research Forum) conference, Columbia, SC, October 23-25, 2014.
Marijuan, S., Lago, S., & Sanz, C. ‘Agreement morphology, word order bias and working memory in English-Spanish emerging bilinguals,’ EUROSLA (The European Second Language Association), York, England, September 3-6, 2014.
Marijuan, S., Lago, S., & Sanz, C. ‘Can English-Spanish emerging bilinguals use agreement morphology to overcome word order bias?’ GURT (Georgetown University Round Table), Washington, DC, March 14-16, 2014.
Marijuan, S., & Lago, S. ‘(Dis)agreement can help overcome the word order bias in L2 Spanish: accuracy and timing evidence,’ SLRF (Second Language Research Forum), Provo, Utah. October 31-November 1, 2013.
Marijuan, S. ‘The role of task-complexity in the development of verbs of motion in L2 Spanish,’ TBLT (Task-Based Language Teaching), Banff, Alberta, Canada, October 3-5, 2013
Marijuan, S. ‘The role of awareness and proficiency at the syntax-pragmatics interface: L2 Spanish deictic verbs,’ SLRF (Second Language Research Forum), Pittsburgh, PA, October 18-21, 2012
- Chicana Latino Faculty Staff Association (CLFSA, Cal Poly)
- American Association for Applied Linguistics (AAAL)
- American Association of Teachers of Spanish & Portuguese (AATSP)
- Computer-Assisted Language Instruction Consortium (CALICO)
- Modern Language Association (MLA)